Friday, December 28, 2007

And So It Began...





Earlier this month I was feeling pretty dismal about my work. I kept getting assignments I felt were a joke and a waste of time. Another head shot - boring. Another photo of kids at the school -been there done that. Another photo of construction- for the love of God stop already! I was losing my focus and was frequently aggravated by the seemingly lame photo requests I kept getting. But then while surfing the net in between assignments one Tuesday I came across one of Jim Merithew's columns on Sportsshooter in which he interviewed photographer Kevin German about how he got out of a slump, and I quote,
"It got so bad, that I finally decided that I had to let it go. And so I did. I forgot about contests. I forgot about pressures. I forgot about other peoples' expectations. I forgot about photography. I focused on my subjects. On the people I was meeting and the cool things I was getting to see and do. I focused on the external and let go of the internal. I started to enjoy myself. And I started to see the world anew."
German's words really sparked inspiration in me, and I suddenely realized, what the heck am I whining about, I have such an opportunity here to play around and define my style. I need to stop my blubbering and start taking good photos I'm proud of again. Then I came across Strobist. The single most influential website for me this year -and that's saying something since I only discovered it a week or so ago
. I have such great things to say about it, but namely after finding it, I feel that I've been reborn in a way. So I stopped bitching about the fluffy "Christmas in Menlo Park" photo story I was thrown, and started to seek out some pretty cool Christmas photos. Sorry I'm posting this all AFTER Christmas.

No comments: