Friday, December 28, 2007

Mmmmm I'm hungry

Food photography. Not usually my cup of tea. Working at the Palo Alto Weekly I usually have to shoot food shots every once in awhile if the intern isn't around to shoot it. I hardly give the food stuff a second thought, shoot the food on the plate, make it look somewhat appetizing, finito -i'm out of here. Last week I had a food assignment for the new hoite toite Italian place opening up in Menlo Park and I thought I'd start to see how I can play around with the umbrella and strobe instead of window light to show more texture, especially since the shoot got rescheduled to the later evening. I'll be honest, the chef and the owner were just downright rude to me. They kept questioning why I was there, what paper I was with, why I needed photos, and they kept making me wait even when I had told them exactly what I needed hours ago on the phone. A half hour later after standing around just wanting to get back to the office so I could load the photos and leave, the chef finally prepared these dishes for me to photograph. I used the umbrella and really tried to balance in the warm glow from the candles on the table. I'm pretty happy with these two shots, and I'm really glad I decided to shoot the dessert from above to really show the contrast in colors. If I had had another strobe I would have used it on the left side of the plate as well to really wash out the shadows. Using the strobe expanded my choices, and I do have to say that the food shot was a fun one to work on despite the a-hole manager and chef I had to deal with.

No comments: