Friday, March 7, 2008

Life on the train tracks


Last week I got to work on a really cool story about the men and women behind the ropes of Caltrain. I have dealt with Caltrain in the past. Usually they have been very uptight and controlling over what photos I can take. This is because they figure photos of train tracks will inspire people to end their lives by throwing themself in front of a train. However, this turn around I was fortunate enough to get paired up with the main foreman, Rob, who gave me more access than I could have dreamed of. I got to see all facets: from the conductors yelling at the slow pokes to make sure the train's schedule stays on time, to the petite engineer sitting in a tiny little room manning this extremely powerful machine, to the guys in the control booth dealing with the days stresses of a freight train derailment and suicide, to the mechanics who wander around the engine and in between the wheels checking for the slightest amount of wear. I got to sit in the locomotive as the train sped by the local towns, I got to see upclose what the inner workings of a train engine looks like (it's so hot in there!) I even got to wander underneath the train and see up close what the underbelly of Caltrain looks like. These are amazing people whose work we often taken for granted or just plain ignore. It's incredible the amount of dedication and pride for the job that they have, all to make our commutes run smooth and keep things safe. They truly are some of the most amazing people I've met while working here. And dad, if you are reading this, this whole assignment I thought of you and wish you could have been up here to experience it all with me. I think because of this I have a new respect and love for your passion of trains.Inside the locomotive as the train was getting placed onto different tracks

Next to the engine, this is the generator

The maintenance yard

On a platform underneath the tracks, inspecting the wheels and brakes

What the engineer sees as the train is moving

Getting ready for the next ride up from San Jose To San Francisco

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a nice story -- there's a lot more going on to make the railroad run than people think. --Caltrain Engineer Dan