Monday, January 21, 2008

A big damn hole


Last Wednesday I got another dreaded works in progress photo assigned to me. These are usually really boring standard photos of construction going on in the community that the reporters want shown. It's usually just some straight shot of some building getting torn down, or random shots of scaffolding and foundation laying. I pretty much despise these types of assignments because they are a real challenge to get something visually interesting out of and well, they're boring. Plus, as Menlo Park and areas are constantly getting built up every which way, I get these types of assignments once a week. So when my editor told me that someone in the community reported construction going on up in Portola Valley, where there was a "big damn hole" in the middle of the street, I screamed a little bit to myself. But, off I went, because that's what they pay me for. When I pulled up this windy little mountain road there was indeed a big damn hole, 27 feet deep to be exact. I slowly crawled up to the edge (i'm not afraid of heights, just afraid of losing my footing and falling to a disastrously painful death). It was just a cool scene, guys on the edge peering down this shaft in the ground where three others were digging up dirt to install a man hole for the sewer later. They looked like little worker ants down there. In the end I was pretty happy with this shot, showing the feet of the men overlooking the edge, and the guys in the big damn hole in the street below. I still despise works in progress shots though.

No comments: