Friday, January 25, 2008

Bye Bye Birdie


This past Wednesday I received the assignment to photograph the new theater complex at the private high school in Woodside. Luckily, the reporter had sensed my recent mounting frustrations with works in progress photos and so arranged a time for me to shoot the new theater when student rehearsals of "bye bye birdie" were going on. Otherwise it would have been a boring uninspired photo of a dark stage, seats, and awful lighting. It's been awhile since i could say I was proud of a photo I took, but damn this is a good photo (at least I think so). I love the lighting that is reflected into the student's faces from their notebooks. I love the sense of being an actor and performing in a theater you get from this perspective. And I love the cute intimate moment between them; for a moment they look like two high school kids in love -even though it's actually just a scene from the musical. But I like to pretend that it's both :)

No comments: